Navigating the sunscreen aisle can often feel like decoding a foreign language – a flurry of often confusing terminologies such as SPF, UVA, UVB, broad-spectrum, and so forth. As your committed skincare guides, we're here to bring clarity and help you discern the right sunscreen for your skin type.
Senté has always prioritized scientifically-backed solutions to meet your skincare needs. We pride ourselves on delivering products that work, are good for you, and add a dash of enjoyment to your skincare routine. And when it comes to sun protection, we take things very seriously.
What Do All Those Sun Protection Acronyms Really Mean?
First, let's talk about the long line of acronyms mentioned above. If you don't understand them, you won't be properly equipped to make an informed decision about which sunscreen to add to your summer arsenal.
- SPF (Sun Protection Factor): SPF is a measure of how well a sunscreen can protect your skin from UVB rays, which are the main cause of sunburn and contribute to skin cancer. The number next to SPF represents the theoretical amount of time you can stay in the sun without getting sunburned. For example, an SPF of 30 allows you to stay in the sun 30 times longer without burning than if you had no protection.
- UVA (Ultraviolet A): UVA rays account for up to 95% of the UV radiation reaching the Earth's surface. Although they are less intense than UVB, UVA rays are 30 to 50 times more prevalent, and they penetrate the skin more deeply. Overexposure to UVA rays can lead to premature skin aging and wrinkling (photoaging), and suppression of the immune system.
- UVB (Ultraviolet B): UVB rays are the chief cause of skin reddening and sunburn. Unlike UVA, UVB rays don’t significantly penetrate glass but, their intensity varies by season, location, and time of day.
- Broad-Spectrum: A broad-spectrum, or full-spectrum, sunscreen is designed to protect you from both UVA and UVB rays. It’s like getting the best of both worlds! Always aim for a sunscreen that offers broad-spectrum protection to ensure that your skin is fully protected.
Picking the Perfect Sunscreen For Your Skin Type
Sunscreen is not just another step in your skincare routine; it's the armor your skin needs to battle against the harmful rays of the sun, preventing premature aging, hyperpigmentation, and more critically, skin cancer. Now let's get down to business and help you choose the right sunscreen for your skin type.
Balanced Skin: If your skin is well-balanced, neither too dry nor too oily, the Invisible Shield - SPF 52 Tinted is your ideal ally — designed to provide potent sun protection while enhancing your natural glow.
- Dry Skin: For our friends dealing with dry skin, turn to our Daily Repairs Essentials Starter Kit. Besides providing essential sun protection via the inclusion of our tinted Invisible Shield product, it also includes our Daily Soothing Cleanser and Dermal Repair Cream to promote deep hydration of your skin. When combined, these products will ensure you maintain soft, supple skin.
- Oily Skin: Those sun worshippers with oily skin should strongly consider our Invisible Shield - SPF 52 Tinted. This lightweight sunscreen won't clog pores, and gives you broad-spectrum sun protection without any greasiness.
- Combination Skin: With the unique challenges of combination skin in mind, we recommend the Even Tone Mineral Sunscreen. It offers broad-spectrum protection while addressing the varying needs of your skin. Whether you're dealing with an oily T-zone or dry patches, this sunscreen has you covered.
- Sensitive Skin: For those with sensitive skin Even Tone Mineral Sunscreen is a great choice once again. As a mineral sunscreen, it’s designed to help with visible redness all while remaining free of harsh, irritating chemicals.
Make the Smart Sunscreen Choice
Remember, the best sunscreen is the one you will use consistently. At Senté, our goal isn't just to provide you with effective skincare solutions but to ensure they contribute to a pleasant daily routine. It's all about making sun-smart choices and enjoying radiant, healthy skin.